Our wrongful death attorneys in Chicago can aid you in getting maximum compensation for the financial burden that comes with losing a loved one.
The Wrongful Death Attorneys in Chicago
Call Today for Your Free ConsultationFree Case Evaluation
- or -
Wrongful death lawsuits or claims are generally filed by family members or beneficiaries of the
person who died.
The Illinois Wrongful Death Act, 740 ILCS 180/0.01 states:
“Whenever the death of a person shall be caused by wrongful act, neglect or default, and the act,
neglect or default is such as would, if death had not ensued, have entitled the party injured to
maintain an action and recover damages in respect thereof, then and in every such case the
person who or company or corporation which would have been liable if death had not ensued,
shall be liable to an action for damages, notwithstanding the death of the person injured, and
although the death shall have been caused under such circumstances as amount in law to felony.
No action may be brought under this Act if the decedent had brought a cause of action with
respect to the same underlying incident or occurrence which was settled or on which judgment
– Loss of consortium: Loss of consortium is the loss of a familial relationship due to
injury or in this case a wrongful death.
– In Illinois both husband and wife may recover for loss of consortium. The loss of
consortium action must be joined with the principal action, in this instance the
wrongful death claim.
– Damages: A successful plaintiff will be able to collect both economic and non economic
damages. The economic money damages include loss of financial support, medical
expenses, and funeral expenses. The non economic damages include the loss of love,
care, comfort, supervision, guidance, household assistance and general society. Surviving
family members may also be compensated for their own personal grief and suffering.
- PBT Does Not Violate 5th Amendment In DUI Case By Dan Herbert on August 13, 2015 1
- Better to be ‘fetal’ and free than aggressive and incarcerated By Dan Herbert on January 4, 2016 1
- Cops are entitled to “fair and timely” too By Daniel Herbert on September 9, 2013 0
- BARGAINING REQUIRED OVER GANG AFFILIATION RULE By Dan Herbert on August 11, 2017 0
- Search and Seizure By Daniel Herbert on November 11, 2013 0